Friday, January 16, 2009

An Adoption Project

Quite a while ago I had an idea of something I wanted to make for our next child (who hopefully will be adopted). I was reading the book, "Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew." It had a very beautiful poem/parable in it that I copied so that I could put it in a scrap book that I would be making for my child. Here it is:

Long, long ago, in eternity past, God determined that there would be a beautiful braid made of shinning ribbons--a braid woven in the secret places, a braid called "adoption."

Each ribbon was a different color. One of the deepest of purples, another the richest of greens, and the third the most vibrant of reds.

Each ribbon had a purpose, each a vital contribution, and each a unique position with the other two ribbons.

The green ribbon represents the birth family and their deep yet often-forgotten contribution to your life.

The purple ribbon represents our family, chosen to nurture that God-given gift of life passed on from the birth family.

The red ribbon represents you--a unique weaving together of nature and nurture into one marvelous human being, with awesome potential.

--Sherrie Eldridge


What I really liked was the depiction of the different colors and what they represent. I decided to make a "blankie" with those colors to give to my child when we took them home. Now, this will really only work with a child under one or two, but I am fine if it doesn't end up working.

You see, Lydia has a "blankie" that my parent's gave her when she was born. At first we just let her play with it. But then at about 5 months old we put it in her crib for her to sleep with. That was really the only thing she slept with besides her pacifier until she was about 16 months old when we added blankets in her crib. She loves her blankie and it is becoming well worn. We hope to do the same thing for our next child because we feel like it is important to have a comfort object. The blankie is a perfect comfort object: it is small, portable, washable and fun to play with (the tags). We ended up having to hide this new blankie, because Lydia wanted to play and cuddle with it. Here is the picture of the new blankie. Now remember, I am not the best sewer, but I try.
DSC04896


Here is Lydia sleeping with her blankie at about 5 months old.
IMG_0079.JPG

2 comments:

shanda said...

LOVE the idea of the poem and the blanket. What a great adoptive mom you already are! Also, could that picture of Lydia be any cuter? Just love that girl!

Gina said...

Hey Becky! From your facebook I landed on here, and what a fun find! I thought this post was really neat, and I am copying the poem and idea down, as I have a nephew who is adopted and my husband and I are in the process of becoming foster/adoptive parents. What a journey!